Hello Pierre – If you have been in Canada for at least 20 years after the age of 18, you are entitled to a partial OAS, wherever you live without agreement. If you have been in Canada less than 20 years after the age of 18, you would not be eligible for the OAS if you reside outside of Canada, unless you qualify under one of the many international agreements. Totalization only comes into play if it does not separately meet the eligibility criteria for both countries. To apply to the OAS from outside Canada, for example, it takes 20 years to stay in Canada after the age of 18. If she has that, she qualifies for the OAS without using the agreement. If this is not the case, it could use some of its years of contribution to the U.S. SS system to reach the 20-year threshold, but the amount of its OAS would be strictly based on the actual number of years of stay in Canada. Hello Abraham – Is this considered taxable income? If so, it would probably have an impact on your GIS, whether or not there is a social security contract. This would only affect your OAS if your net taxable income was above the clawback threshold (approximately $74,000 per year). Have decided to reach an agreement to this end, and, The following table shows the different types of social security benefits under the U.S. and Canadian social security plans to pay and briefly describe the eligibility requirements for each type of benefit.

If you do not qualify for these benefits, the agreement can help you qualify (see “How Benefits Can Be Paid”). I am a Colombian citizen and have been living in Canada for 15 years, I am 55 years old and I intend to continue living in Canada and retire here. However, I worked for 12 years in Colombia, and after I arrived, I continue to pay my retirement plan in Colombia. I know there is no agreement between Canada and Colombia. So the question is when I`m 65, can I receive pension funds from Canada and Colombia? Because I pay in both systems? Or should I expect Canada to forbid me and not allow me to get my pension benefits from my Colombian system? Hello Eric – I don`t know the age rules you can/must make to apply for U.S. Social Security, but I do know that everything you do about your SS doesn`t affect your CPC or your OAS. Therefore, you can apply for your CPC from the age of 60 (at a reduced rate), but the first year you can apply for the OAS is the age of 65. While the U.S.-Canada agreement and the U.S.-Quebec agreement allow the Social Security Administration to count your CPP or PPH credits to help you qualify for U.S. pension, disability or survival benefits, the agreement does not cover Medicare benefits.

Therefore, we cannot count your credits in Canada or Quebec to qualify for free Medicare insurance. I do not know any details about the benefits of the United States, but the agreement should help you qualify.